Thursday, October 27, 2011

Where Did The Day Go?

Holy cow. How has it been nearly a week since I posted? Oh wait, that's right. I'll tell you how...

For a general rundown of what it's like to be a mother of one, yet nanny to five (three at one house, two at another), here's an excerpt from my day today.

Because I'm working so much, I've been getting sick a lot more. Bleh. As such, today started out bright and early, when Ava and I left the house at 7:30 to make an 8:10 doctor's appointment so I could miss only half an hour of work, which will be made up tomorrow afternoon. Blah. Anyhow, at said doctor appointment, I fit about two months worth of stuff into the visit, including the upper respiratory infection I currently have, the swollen lymph nodes that have been keeping me up at night, and the referral for PT that I needed in order to be seen at my friend's clinic, because lifting the travel car seat in and out of the car has done a number on my back.

From there, I went to work. This began with me dropping the boys at school, then running to the pharmacy to drop off my prescription. Unfortunately there's no drive thru at the one closest to my job, so I had to drag Ava and the baby inside, resulting in Ava's second lollipop of the day (the first was at the doctor...). It was 9:15.

Then, we headed over to Toddler Storytime at the library, which requires my child to sit still and listen. Ha. HAHAHAHA! Picture this if you will: H screaming while I attempt to feed her the soy formula she's currently on (another milk allergy - what are the odds?!?!?!), while Ava LITERALLY runs circles around me, while yelling, "CIRCLES!" at the top of her lungs. That's her new favorite thing.

Afterwards, we went back to the pharmacy to pick up my prescriptions, since there is no such thing as "waiting around for it" when you have two under two, am I right? Anyhow, we picked those up, made a pit stop at the gas station, and then I drove around until Ava fell asleep. I'm not a lazy parent, but it's so much easier if she looks sleepy in the car to drive her to sleep than try to put her and H down at the same time. I feel only slightly bad about this.

While they napped, I did two loads of laundry, loaded the dishwasher, and stuffed my face ate my lunch. I would've chosen to do something more awesome with my time, except it's not my choice. I'm responsible for those things at work, so there's no indulging the sentiment that the housework can wait. Unfortunately, it can't.

Then, I drug both girls out of bed, praying one would stay asleep (no such luck), and hauled them to school to pick up the boys in the pick up line. After listening to them bickering in the third row, I dropped them off at home, then Ava and I went to get S from HER preschool, all while dashing home, to job #2, to meet P at the bus stop. Now, I have to go, because she's due at tennis in twenty minutes, and I am doing carpool today, before returning to make two cakes for the cake decorating contest at P's school tomorrow (though that is admittedly fun!).

In retrospect, it could be months before I blog again...

4 comments:

  1. holy cow, what a day. There need to be many, many more places with drive thrus - in my opinion. I'd be willing to skip them when I'm not with the toddler, I promise!

    Feel better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Seriously, I am going to stop complaining about my days... I've got nothing on you girl. Two thumbs up on the fortitude and stamina! Lots of hugs to you and Ava and I seriously hope you feel 100% better again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is, I only have one toddler and I let him nap in the car on the weekends if needed. You do what you gotta do to keep sane! Don't feel bad!I hope those parents know how lucky they are to have you around to do all the things you do. I can't imagine doing laundry, etc. for someone else and then having to go home and do it for yourself!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails