Monday, November 15, 2010

Wean Me Gently.

I came across this poem recently, and thought it was so appropriate, considering our babies ages and their stage in the weaning process. It's so upsetting to me (surprisingly!) that Ava is starting to be less interested in nursing. She remains an avid nurser at night and before naps, but during the day, homegirl wants food and playtime! She also likes to nurse in strange ways, what I like to call "nursenastics". She likes to stand facing me bent over nursing, and sometimes picks a leg up, so that it looks like she's in Warrior III. My little yogi :) Anyhow, enjoy:

I know I look so big to you,
Maybe I seem too big for the needs I have.
But no matter how big we get,
We still have needs that are important to us.
I know that our relationship is growing and changing,
But I still need you. I need your warmth and closeness,
Especially at the end of the day
When we snuggle up in bed.
Please don't get too busy for us to nurse.
I know you think I can be patient,
Or find something to take the place of a nursing;
A book, a glass of something,
But nothing can take your place when I need you.
Sometimes just cuddling with you,
Having you near me is enough.
I guess I am growing and becoming independent,
But please be there.
This bond we have is so strong and so important to me,
Please don't break it abruptly.
Wean me gently,
Because I am your mother,
And my heart is tender.

7 comments:

  1. OK, this poem made me a crying mess. Do you know who wrote it? I'd like to post it on my blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Although I think Ethan would still nurse all day if I let him! lol. I don't think we'll be weaning anytime soon! We're still nursing 4 to 5 times during the day and once at night. He's not even close to walking yet though so maybe once he is he will start that stuff too. I hope he weans me gently when he decides it's time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! Nursenastics, lol!!! I could totally see P doing that if I was still nursing her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! When I think about weaning Asher I get one part super excited to have my body back and 10 parts sad. He mostly seems STARVING when he nurses, so it doesn't seem too sentimental to him - just a means to an end. FOOD! What a guy. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and by the way, I found the perfect outfit for Ava. I saw this over on Kelly's Korner blog and thought of you immediately!

    http://passionatelyrivalicious.com/catalog.php?item=22

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've become such a sap since becoming a mom. These make me tear up! I definitely think weaning Jack will be harder on me than on him. I am really looking forward to putting the pump away, but I absolutely love breastfeeding. I may end up nursing him at night for a lot longer than originally planned. Extended nursing, anyone? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha! lol at "warrior iii"!! and ohmigawsh, i could only scan the poem because i knew it would make me cry if i read it word for word. my LO is 6mo & i LOVE our time spent nursing... i don't even want to think about him losing interest!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails