Tuesday, April 21, 2015

A New Road.

For the past several months, I've been a stay-at-home mom, a position I have coveted for years and have adored while I've had the chance. While I'm still going to be a mostly-stay-at-home-mom, I've accepted a part-time position...teaching at the children's school!

Can I just take a moment to say how fortunate I've been since my children were born? Despite a continued need to work, I've had only jobs that have kept me within arms reach of them, easing my nervous mommy mind and aiding in my journey in extended breastfeeding and other attachment parenting processes. In case I haven't said it recently, I am so, so very thankful.

I won't be flying solo teaching until next Tuesday, but I have been shadowing the current teacher for the past two weeks, and I have to admit that I'm really loving it! I'm in the nursery classroom, with the 1- to 2-year-old toddlers, and I adore it! I've always said that I find 18 months - 3 years to be such an amazing age - the emergent language skills, increasing independence (while still being cuddly), and their fascination with the world around them are some of my favorite qualities! I was nervous about the fact that I'll be finishing out this school year with Jackson in my class, but so far, he's adjusted well. The first half hour of the first day was difficult, with him trying to figure out why I didn't leave at drop off, but still wasn't holding him, but he's been great ever since. Our one big challenge is his wanting to nurse when he gets tired after lunch, but thankfully we have a short day (four hours), and I'm able to redirect him until school is out successfully! Next year, he'll be in the 2's class while I'll still be in the nursery, so that should be easier for both of us! I will admit, however, it's fascinating to see him in action at school. For all the tantrums he saves for me at home, he's really well-behaved at school, and his social skills and verbal skills are on par with all of his older classmates :)

Here's to new adventures, and for continuing to be a part of a community I love!  I am so thankful for this opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails