Friday, September 20, 2013

And So It Begins...

I have always been one to take education seriously, and have been looking forward to the day when I had my own children and was able to be involved with them and their schooling. My mom was awesome - she stayed home with me, and was involved in all my school projects, etc - setting the example that parents are just as important a part of a child's education as their teachers.

I somehow didn't realize that this urge - the need to be the overachieving parent going the extra mile - would consume me starting with preschool. That's the only possible explanation, right, for why I would, a month out from having a baby and someone in charge of running three different households in some capacity, volunteer myself as Ava's class's room mom. I mean, REALLY?! I couldn't tell you what came over me, only that I thought it sounded like a great idea at the time and totally within my abilities.

Another thing I thought sounded like a fantastic idea at the time? Volunteering to bring Ava's bunny, Babs, to "B" show-and-tell yesterday, despite the fact that it was a logistical nightmare both for myself and my poor, unsuspecting husband. Um....

What it is, at heart, is that I want so badly for her to love school and love learning as much as I did as a child, and to me, an active parent, especially given her anxiety about being away from me, is the way to ensure that early on. But someone please remind me of that when I'm knee-deep in nursing pads and diapers and eight days post-op and I have to tend to Ava's school's Halloween party....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails