Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Adventures in Breastfeeding.

Breastfeeding, while amazingly rewarding (not only is Ava thriving, but I've lost 21lbs!), brings with it some, um, shall we say interesting situations.

Take for example yesterday. I was really tired when feeding Ava, and as soon as she was safely laid down, closed my eyes before I even had the chance to put my breast pad back in. Big. Mistake. I didn't realize what I had done until the next feeding, when I went to remove the breast pad and discovered the adhesive had sealed shut to my poor unsuspecting nipple. Ouch.

The day before that, though, was far worse. Ava has mastered the art of chugging, which makes for quick feedings, but also the occasional mishap. Apparently little A took a bit too much in, and subsequently coughed to clear her throat, spitting breastmilk ALL OVER ME. Everyone keeps asking me if I plan to taste my milk, to which I always look horrified and say, 'what the f is wrong with you?!', but turns out Ava had other plans for her mommy :P

4 comments:

  1. Hehehe. Just wait until the first spit-up, if you think coughing intact milk is bad...

    Ugh.

    Other than that, glad to hear it's going well for you! I regret to this day breastfeeding didn't work for me...but Marianne never could seem to get enough from me, and seemed much happier when I said screw it and swapped to formula full time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breastfeeding is definitely an adventure! Asher is a chugger too and is always sneezing and coughing milk back at me. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Gotta love spit-up. I've put the breast pads on backwards several times. "Mommy brain" is an amusing thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HILARIOUS!!!

    I love breastfeeding and thank God I haven't experienced either of those situations. My little girl likes to bite though so I think I'd take a glued breast pad to the nipple over a clench!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails