Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Visit to the Lactation Consultant.

Yesterday when I went to pump, I was able to get significantly less than before (not even an ounce per). Then, when I attempted to express some milk with my hand, that wasn't working almost at all. Hmmm... Seeing as how I really, really want to breatfeed Ava for as long as possible (and clearly by that I do NOT mean that I plan to have a toddler attached to my boobs, thank you very much, but I would like to get to 6 months and then go from there), I did what any new mom would do. I freaked out and called my mother.

While my mom didn't seem all that concerned, telling me to up my fluids and see if that helped, I remained frantic this morning, thinking that, despite Ava's knack for nursing, my milk might be drying up. Enter the lactation consultant.

I am very fortunate in that Ava's pediatrician's office has one on staff, and two others that fill in for her as needed, so help was easy to get. She asked me a series of questions, and then I set an appointment to come in for a consult at 3PM.

When I got there, she weighed Ava, saying that per her eight pound weight at her 1-week visit 9 days ago, she should now be at 8lbs, 9oz. Unfortunately, Ava was still at an even 8lbs, throwing me into major freakout mode! Was she going hungry?! Oh no! The LC (who was totally awesome btw) then had me feed her, 10 minutes per breast, and then weighed her after each. She took in 2.6 ozs! Based on her weight and on 8 feedings per day, the LC told us she should be taking in 2.7 ozs per feeding, so my milk supply was meeting her needs. We're not sure why she hadn't gained weight, but ill take her back in a week to check and see how she's doing.

In the meantime, I'm starting on More Milk Special Blend, an herbal blend with Fenugreek, goats rue and other herbs that help to increase milk supply, and have been instructed to pump for 10 minutes after each daytime feeding.
Here's hoping it works!

3 comments:

  1. Yeah...my issue was, Marianne'd nurse for 15 minutes a side, then I'd pop her off and she'd scream till I gave her more...she never seemed full off my milk.

    I didn't have as good a LC as you obviously do, but when I gave her a bottle at 3 days old, she ate 2.5 oz.

    I was flabbergasted. I called the LC who didn't believe me. By two weeks old, Marianne was eating 4 oz bottles, 8 times a day.

    Ava sounds like she is doing well, and I am happy for you you're able to breastfeed...I wish I could have done it longer, but the PPD, the drugs, the digestive shock from the c-section...

    Maybe I'll be able to breastfeed the next kid, if I am blessed with another. Happy feeding! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, my LC told me you ALWAYS get less milk pumping than baby will be able to extract.

    I guess babies have a talent for it, and suckling stimulates some hormonal response on your part to produce more. A pump can't really compare to hungry baby, I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. After going back and looking at my own journal...

    At 4 days old, Marianne was eating 3.5 oz on average.

    She definitely got the "hungries" gene from her Daddy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails