Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Things to Do in Austin: LBJ Library and Museum.

It's no secret that I'm both a diehard Austinite and a diehard Democrat, so forgive me my enthusiasm over our recent trip to the Lyndon Baines Johnson Presidential Library and Museum. Over Christmas break, the LBJ Library reopened to high praise after undergoing serious improvements and renovations. While I cannot attest to the renovations themselves, having never been to the LBJ Library and Museum before, I can say that this is hands down one of my favorite museums in Austin, if not in all of Texas.

While the museum and library focus on the life and Presidency of LBJ himself, there are significant figures and events intertwined: The Kennedy assassination that made LBJ President, the Civil Rights Act of 1968, the end of the Vietnam war, his wife, Lady Bird Johnson, and so on. Not only was LBJ a fabulous and accomplished President, he was also a humanitarian and equal rights activist in a time when controversy ran amok, and for that, I respect him ten times over.

I could go on and on about the attention to detail in the collection and the fabulous exhibits, but I'll just show you instead (warning: major photobomb ahead!):




























The LBJ Library and Museum is open daily (except Christmas Day), 9am-5pm, and is located at 2313 Red River Street, Austin, TX 78705. Admission is $8 for adults, $5 for seniors, and $3 for ages 13-17. Under 13 is free, as are UT students/staff/faculty, student groups, and active military.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails