Monday, July 26, 2010

So What Do I Eat?

That is, when I'm not spazzing out and shame-eating half a dozen cookies.

I get asked a lot what I do eat, seeing as how I'm limited in my selections by A's dairy-free restriction (and yep, she did react, though not with the intensity or as quickly as normal, so I'm hoping that's a good sign that she's starting to outgrow it???). For any in my same boat, any vegans out there, or those just looking for some new snack ideas, here's a few of my new faves:

*Better Oats! Maple & Brown Sugar Oatmeal
Packed with whole grain goodness and served up in a environmentally friendly package, this is a surefire way to fill up and stay full through the morning. I would say to
do yourselves a favor and skip the sugar free version of this. Yeah, it might be healthier, but man is this oatmeal tasty, and relatively low-cal to boot. Great for breakfast or that after-dinner snack, and for an added bonus? It is rumored to help boost milk supply in breastfeeding mamas, and I would have to say that it does. I've been super-producing recently, and I've been eating this oatmeal on a nearly everyday basis.

*Fig Newton Fruit Crisps
Let me preface this by saying I HATE Fig Newtons...they gross me out. These 100-calorie fruit crisp snack packs, though, are delicious. The apple cinnamon are reminiscent of pop-tarts, though instead of packing in 400 calories, they're a nice, shiny 100-calories. Who doesn't like that? This is one of my favorite things to grab when I'm needing a quick snack and am walking out the door.

*If you happen to be a fellow Texan, head to HEB to indulge in their line of fully cooked products. One I particularly like is the Sweet Chili Chicken Breast. Delicious. I heat one up on the stove until it's a bit seared, slice it and throw it in a whole wheat tortilla with spinach and red onion, and a bit of olive oil and vinegar dressing....yum! If you don't have an HEB nearby (you poor things!), most grocer's carry similar fully cooked products - just look for a flavor that appeals to you.

*I eat a ton of fruit. I make sure to buy things in season, and then slice them up and have them ready to go. Right now I have some cubed watermelon sitting in there, grapes in a bowl where I can just grab them at any time, and an assortment of berries. Grape/cherry tomatoes make wonderful dairy-free snacks also.

*If you're having a snack attack and fruit won't cut it (isn't that the case about 99% of the time), I LOVE the Nabisco Lorna Doone shortbread cookie 100-calorie packs, and they're 100% dairy-free :) Tasty!

*Beans. I seriously eat like a can of beans per day. At least. How I managed to get through 25 years of my life before discovering the tastiness of beans is beyond me. I eat black beans, baked beans, and my favorite, jalapinto beans (pinto beans with jalapenos). TASTY. Plus, they're a great source of fiber and keep you feeling full.

As much as I complain about missing dairy, if it weren't for a few choice items - pizza, sweets and the like - I actually wouldn't mind eating like this. I definitely make some wiser choices and eat less processed foods, which is a major bonus. I sure would like a slice of Austin's pizza and a Mighty Fine milkshake, though!!! Soon enough!

*

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you found some great dairy-free options!! Great to hear! I am interested in trying those fig newton crisps you spoke of... ! I'm always on the lookout for a healthy, quick & easy snack!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails