Monday, June 6, 2011

17 Months of Nursing and Going Strong.

I have a confession to make: I have a 17-month-old that I still breastfeed, and I can't remember a time anymore when I gave a damn what people think about it.

I'm looking at you, unnamed family member.

Anywho, there it is. I'm an extended breastfeeder. And while my fifteen-year-old self cringes at the thought, my mature, 27-year-old self (yeah, I recently turned 27...woot woot!) says, "Don't be a judgmental b, girl!"

I made this proclamation on Twitter the other day, and was met with a few responses. Of course, there are some lovely ladies I know who are in the same boat who tweeted something along the lines of, "Way to go, B!" in response. On the opposite end of the spectrum, there are those I know are still breastfeeding also who said nothing for one reason or another, as well as those who either voiced or kept silent their disapproval for whatever reason. But the most discouraging response of all was the one woman who said, "Me too, but only because of (insert reason here), and we're going to wean soon, and I only do it (x amount) per day and NEVER in public."

I don't mean at all to belittle her, as I'm proud to say I know her and that she is still giving her little one what's best for him in their particular situation. I just felt sad that we live in a society where you automatically feel the need to take the defensive for something as healthy and natural as breastfeeding.

Lord, have mercy. Who ever would've thought when I begrudgingly posted that I was going to breastfeed since it was the best thing but that I didn't "want" to, that I'd turn into such a lactivist?!

Anyhow, this is my way of standing in support of all those who breastfeed, whether for six months, or nine months, or a year or longer. In fact, I may very well continue to nurse Ava until she's two, as I'm allowing her to self-wean, and she's still very much attached to nursing. It's not hurting her, her physical and emotional development are exceptional and she's as healthy as can be, and mama has been to the gym a total of three times (for yoga class!) in the past two years, and weighs less than before I was pregnant. I'm really in no hurry to stop :)

So if you're feeling like you're alone in breastfeeding a toddler, or ashamed by it, DON'T! I respect you! I admire you! Me, your pediatrician, your baby, the health care system of the US - we all thank you!

5 comments:

  1. Amen! And thank you. That's all I have to say about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome. We're at 16 1/4 months so far and I don't see a stopping point any time soon :) I'm with you on letting Liara self-wean and I'll continue to breastfeed as long as she wants to/I'm able to. Having this second baby might throw things off a little, so we'll see how it goes, but I still really enjoy the time we share together while she eats. We're only at 4 times a day now (when she wakes up, goes down for a nap, wakes up from nap, and is going to bed) so I don't think it'll be too long, but I'm happy to let her do it as long as she wants.

    My husband is one of those people who keeps asking "well, when are you going to stop?!" and it's a simple "when she wants to... it's not your decision to make" response usually. Every now and then I feel a little awkward about it when someone confronts me about it, but you know, to each their own... this is my way and I'm happy with it. :)

    I'm proud of you for continuing on as well... thanks for hanging in there with me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son only fed until 9 1/2 months as pregnancy dried my supply up. This time, I'm aiming for at least 12 months with my daughter, but am tempted to go longer. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're awesome!! I fully believe that everyone has to do what is right for them and their family, and shouldn't be judged for doing so (as long as no one is being hurt). I have many friends who are still breastfeeding their almost 2 year old toddlers and are weaning only because they are either trying to get pregnant or already are. I kept at it until Jack was 16 months old and I only stopped then because it felt like the right time (and I truly believe that it was, for both of us). If I were a stay-at-home mom I wouldn't have been so quick to wean him during the day, but that pump is torture! If you're able and want to continue it and it's not hurting anyone or being done for the wrong reasons, then I think that's fantastic! There needs to be more support for breastfeeding moms, especially in public. Way to go, mama! (oh, and this is Rene', but Blogger is acting funny and not letting me sign in!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. everyday i am more and more proud of you!!!! it can be so difficult in the face of criticism to continue doing what you believe in, i am so glad that you have the confidence to look the nay sayers in the eye without flinching!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails