Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Infant Sling Recall/Infant Needs for Vitamin D!!! PLEASE READ.


Here's a link to the MSNBC article - please take heed. While the recall involved only Infantino and Wendy Bellissimo slings, I feel that the basic principle cculd easily be applied to all slings due to their design, and will be refraining from using ours until A is a little older. We haven't used it much due to this very concern.

Also noteworthy today - babies who do not get enough Vitamin D are at increased risk for cancers later in life. Since breastmilk does not tend to transfer Vitamin D well, breastfed babies are more affected than formula-fed babies, but both should receive supplementation if taking in less than 200 UI per day (this is the equivalent of less than a quart of fortified formula). I highly recommend D-Vi-Sol. A's a champ with taking it since she likes the flavor. She's not a big fan of the Poly-Vi-Sol that we bought on accident once, and after smelling it, I can't blame her. Plus, she should be receiving enough of the other components due to exclusive breastfeeding. See full article here.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this!! I'm glad they finally recalled them. I am in love with my mei-tei so I'll be sticking to that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pedi gave us a free sample of d d-vi-sol and Presley loved taking it. Well, we ran out the other day and all they had at Target was Poly-vi-sol. I completely wasted my money. She spit it out all over herself and started gagging. Where did you find D-vi-sol? Also, my pedi said to give it to her 2x a week. How often are you giving it to Ava?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never used a sling with Marianne...mostly cause...SHE HATED IT. OMG. Seriously, that was some angry screaming, hate. It was really quite shocking for all she was 3 months old, to hear her scream in indignation at the sight of it.

    I never gave Marianne vitamin drops...she's been on formula since two weeks old, and I wasn't sure if I was supposed to supplement her with vitamins after she started solids or what.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the D-Vi-Sol recommendation! My Pedi wants me to give Asher vitamin drops, but we only ever tried Tri-Vi-Sol and he vomits them up instantly every single time...

    I'm going to buy the D-Vi-Sol today!! Wish us luck! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to update and let you know that Asher took the D-Vi-Sol with no problems! He would take the Poly stuff, but then spit up it (and his whole meal) within a few minutes.

    This went down smoothly and stayed down! Yay! Thanks again for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails