Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Naming Dilemma.

I am really conflicted about what her last name should be. I automatically assumed she would take mine, seeing as we're not married. But I am getting overwhelming resistance from...just about everyone except my family and D himself. All our friends, with the exception of a reasonable few, are practically outraged that the baby will take my last name. Am I wrong here?

Let me explain. Whose last name she'll take has nothing to do with shunning his part in creating and parenting her, or is meant as a slight to his family or anything like that. It isn't because I think we're going to split up down the line, or indicative of our future in any way. Simply put, we're NOT married (and no, it's not a dig to speed us getting married along. I'm perfectly happy with us not being married. In fact, there will soon be a follow-up blog about this topic alone, given the constant grief I get about if we're going to tie the knot now. The short answer: No.). And since we're not married, she should take my name. If we end up getting married, then of course I will change her name when I change my own. And NEITHER OF US will be hyphenators. I think it's tacky, personally, and not for me.

I just don't think Baby B and Mommy should have separate last names. My mom was unmarried when I was born, and I took her last name. To me, that's how it should be. Apparently, however, there is a LOT of controversy on this topic. Think about it this way: What about when I take her to the doctor? Or when I register her for preschool/school/whatever. I never want to have to show ID to pick up my own child.

Just my opinion on the matter! And unless the controversy moves to my own home, she'll take my last name.

3 comments:

  1. I don't see anything wrong with a baby having the mother's last name! It doesn't make her any less his than it would make her less yours if she had his last name (does that make sense?) - I wish other people could understand that! I have a friend who's going through the same thing right now, but her BF strongly disagrees, he wants the baby to have his last name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you. If my husband abd I were not married, then the baby would take my last name. heck, i did not take my husband last name when we got married and he could care less. It is the 21st century, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am totally with you on this one, unless D has a gripe about it and it causes problems she should have your last name!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails