Thursday, June 5, 2014

My Summer as a SAHM!

I don't think I've talked about this previously, but today starts my first day as a stay-at-home mom! If you've been reading for any length of time, you know how badly I've wanted to be at home with my kids, but also how emotionally torn I am about this, since I loved the girls I have worked with for the better part of six years so fiercely and completely.

Back in September, just prior to Jack being born, my boss let me know that after this school year - since the girls were getting older - they would no longer be needing a nanny. I know this was to be expected: I started when the girls were five and two, and they're now heading into second grade and middle school (!!!), and my hours have dwindled down over the years from full-time to part-time, but it still shook my soul to think of not being with them every day. Even as I write this, I feel the familiar twitch of my lip and burn in my eyes that indicates I'm just seconds away from a nervous breakdown, so I'll sum up the last nine months by saying I'm really fantastic at denial, and used that technique to get through until yesterday, when I had a complete, pull over on the side of the road because I can't see through my tears or breathe through my sobs type of nervous breakdown. Luckily, I'm about as good at picking myself up as I am at breaking myself down, so I wallowed last night, and then woke up this morning to this lovely and beautiful fact:

For the next several months, I am a stay-at-home mom!

In the fall, I'll head back to my second job a mere ten hours per week (unless I decide to get a second job to supplement, which I'm looking into currently), but until the end of August, we're unencumbered by the to-dos and schedules of another family. There is an endless world of possibilities ahead of me, and I refuse to dwell on my sadness and miss out on this great gift! So expect to see a lot of new adventures this summer, from day trips to Houston to exploring new places in our city.

So, tell me: what are your favorite day trips near Austin? What's on your summer bucket list? I'm all ears!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails