Wednesday, September 9, 2009

H1N1 Controversy...Yet Again!

I had made up my mind, which takes a miracle these days. I had decided that I would get the seasonal flu vaccine, despite my objections, for the benefit of passing on the protection to Baby B. I was not, however, planning to get the H1N1 vaccine. It's too new, I feel, and I'm not wanting me OR Baby B to be one in a massive group of guinea pigs. No, thank you. My doc, however much I like him usually, feels differently. So much so, in fact, that him and other S&W OBGYN's have decided to enforce a rule that if you refuse either vaccine, you must wear a mask during all your remaining appointments throughout flu season (aka through to my 6-week postpartum appointment, which side note: I can't wait for!!). While I would've liked to say, "Go to hell, you're not going to humiliate me into taking a vaccine I am skeptical of," I instead sat there smiling like an idiot, still high off the commendation for my minimal weight gain. I'm such a sucker for flattery.

What should I do? Any and all thoughts/opinions/suggestions welcome :)

4 comments:

  1. I'm following your blog from BCB and personally I'd wear a mask lol I'm willing to risk looking like an idiot to not be a guinea pig for the government. (Although, I work at hospital so surgical masks, gowns and hairnets are not foreign to me). There was a similar vaccine released in the 50's (I believe) that had some real problems for pregnant women. Although, they may have made it more safe, I refuse for my baby to be the one to find out lol But I believe a lot of the spread can be prevented with good hand hygiene. JMO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. I plan on citing the 50's catastrophe the next time my doc begins his schpiel! Thanks for backing me up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm currently having the same internal debate, especially since I'm a teacher, asthmatic, and pregnant, so I'm "triple risk." I feel the same way you do and am definitely fearful of the new vaccine.

    My midwife is usually very pressure-free but I'm not sure how she'll respond when I tell her this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had the flu vaccine or the flu (knock on wood) so I've been skeptical all along. I'm 95% sure I'm not going to get the H1N1 vaccine, but I'm still debating whether to go ahead and get the regular one. Guess I'll have to make a decision soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails