Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Mama Bear.

I may be small, but I'm a ferocious beast when you mess with my baby or my baby's health and welfare. Take this for example:

I have a stomach ulcer. OK, whatevs, no big. Aside from the fact that having a stomach ulcer makes me feel somewhere along the lines of 80 trillion years old, like I may as well have osteoporosis or something. Anyways...

So I saw my doctor a month ago. He gave me samples for 10 days of a medication to help make it go away. It worked, but after I went through the 10 days, symptoms came back after a week or so. So I called to see if I could have a longer course of treatment. Being a super nice guy, he had his office call me in something so I wouldn't have to drag my little one to the doctor with me and pay a stupid co-pay. Cool. Thanks, doc. You're the best.

Except he's not. I still hold that he's a super nice guy and I really like him, but he made a huge oversight. While samples notoriously do not feature all the product information, prescriptions, of course, do. And there was a HUGE warning, stating specifically that this medication cannot be taken by a breastfeeding mother. HUH?

So I call the pharmacy, thinking they're probably erring on the side of caution. Nope. As it turns out, studies in rats have shown a tendency for baby rats to form tumors. EXCUSEMEWHAT?!?!?!?

I am so pissed. I called the office, forgot it was lunch break, and left a message. Quite a message. My doctor then called me back, letting me know that those medications tend to have those warnings since it's unethical to test medications on breastfeeding women, so they put them on there in order to err on the side of caution. Except, that's NOT true. So I filled him in. And you know what he said?!

"Hmm. Well, I would recommend not continuing it."

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhh.

asdf;alkfja;kdjf;asdkljfadkj.

Stupid doctors.

I'm totally suing the pants off him if she has any sort of repercussions from this, either now or EVER. Watch yourself, doc.

3 comments:

  1. Oh. My. God. Seriously? I would blast him/her into the 10th level of hell if I was given medication that would harm my child in any way. I mean, really? That's just plain F-ed up. I SINCERELY hope there are no side effects and will think good thoughts for you and Ava. {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh!! No way, Jose!! I would be furious.
    Praying that nothing ever happens to sweet Ava!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arrgg! Get him mama bear!

    The same thing happened to me (sort of) when I had thrush a few months ago. My OB prescribed some meds for me but when I went to pick it up there was a huge warning right on the bottle "NOT FOR USE BY BREASTFEEDING MOTHERS" I asked the pharmacist about it before even leaving the counter and she concurred that I shouldn't take them. I left the meds behind and called my doctor right away.

    She said that they were fine to take and I needed them to clear up the infection. THEN WHY IN THE WORLD IS THERE A GIANT WARNING??? How am I suppose to know what's safe or not?

    These doctors need to realize that we're going to be super sensitive to what we are giving our babies. Hello! We're breastfeeding because we're trying to do what's best for them. We aren't going to risk that with questionable meds!

    Sorry, I just needed to rant with you for a minute. :o)

    {Feel better! I'm sure Ava will be just fine!}

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails