Monday, August 17, 2009

Inappropriate Questioning!

So D, it seems, didn't find this appalling, saying that I get 'shocked too easily', but yesterday my mind was blown twice by people asking inappropriate questions. I know that pregnant woman are targets for intrusive strangers, but this crossed the line to me. Tell me what you think.

First, we ran into our next door neighbor at the grocery store. We're not really the type to hang out with our neighbors or know them very well at all, so while some of you may think your next door neighbor can be up in your business, it's worth mentioning that we don't have that type of relationship. In fact, we've said hello maybe four or five times, with one full conversation about our dogs. That's it. Anyhow, we run into our neighbor, who (being that I'm wearing maternity pants) says, "Wow - you're expecting!" Appropriate, whatever. Then she gets a bit closer and lowers her voice. "Was it a surprise?" Um, f#$* you. I'm pretty sure that five minutes could've elapsed with my mouth gaping open and me pondering how on Earth to react to this comment tactfully but get the point across that it's none of her f#$*ing business. I also was trying not to cause a scene since this was the EXACT same spot that I had an altercation with a woman who bullied me for eating a donut before having paid for it. I think when I finally came to, I might have said something like, "No, but we've only been telling our friends before now." Even now, I am appalled by the audacity.

THEN, later on, we went to go see Wicked at the UT Performing Arts Center (great show, btw). At one point I couldn't hold it any longer and had to ask to get out, which I HATE HATE HATE doing, so naturally when I came back I felt apologetic.
"Sorry," I told the woman next to me, who couldn't have been nicer about it.
"It's OK, I'm pregnant," she told me, "so I'll probably have to do the same."
"Oh really? Me too!" I said, despite the fact that it was looking a bit..obvious.
"You are?! How old are you? Like 15?"
What I should have said is, "No, 13 actually," and told her where to shove it. Instead, I graciously smiled and said, "25, actually," which apparently she found to be to her approval because then, to continue the inpropriety, she decided to mention tomorrow was her first doctor's appointment and asked me what to expect. I'm sorry, but when five minutes ago you were passing major judgment about me looking young, I hardly want to describe the pelvic exam you're about to get tomorrow.

So much for open-minded Austinites!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe both of those happened to you in 1 day! I haven't had anyone mention me "looking pregnant" yet -- maybe they're all scared of being wrong? -- but it never occured to me that people might say totally offensive things once they do start to mention it. Good for you for keeping it nice! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails