Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Productivity.

By now, you probably get the idea that I'm a pretty productive person. To be honest, there are days when I run more errands than I believe most people must run in a month...but that's just me. I have a difficult time relaxing, especially when I know that there are things that need to be done, so I prefer getting off my bum and doing them to sitting around and dreading them. "Never put off til tomorrow what can be done today," became my slogan around age four. No joke.

Lately, however, I feel really, obnoxiously self-righteous about it. Take for example yesterday. I'm running around picking up thank you cards, exchanging some duplicate gifts I got, etc, when I stop to put gas in my car (I've noticed this in other scenarios lately, but this is a prime example of my newly inflated sense of self-worth) . While the other cars all sat there waiting impatiently, huffing and puffing at how many gallons it takes to fill my car, I started to feel outraged at their lack of sympathy. I'm pregnant AND I'm pumping gas, I thought to myself. Cut me a damn break, you a#$holes. This has been happening a lot lately.

While I've never been one to buy into the 'pregnancy as a divine experience for a woman' (see just about every previous post if you need confirmation), lately I have started to feel a bit like everyone else that's JUST at the grocery store shopping, or JUST walking down the street has nothing on me. Try grocery shopping while carrying around a hyperactive baby, kicking at your stomach and bladder like they're training for an in-utero kickball tournament, I silently sneer at the hurried man behind me in the checkout. I know it's ridiculous, but can I blame hormones? Or the fact that I've recently adapted a slight waddle to take the pressure off of my aching back and now walk around feeling pissed off on a regular basis that I've taken to waddling, or that I am refusing to waddle and therefore my back could snap at any moment? I digress.

2 comments:

  1. Hun if you think it's bad NOW wait till she comes out of there. Trust me, you will have nothing being pregnant and doing X and doing X whilst carrying a potentially-unhappy baby! I had enough trouble walking whilst pregnant due to horrible, horrible hip pain. But running around with Marianne in my arms and trying to do anything = virtually impossible till I master the art of doing everything with one hand which has yet to happen. Not that I blame little bit, I mean, she wants what she wants and she's the baby...but geez.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily for me, I've worked with infants (usually two and three at a time) so long that I'm used to that feeling...it's just the feeling of physically hauling her around in the middle of my center of gravity that shocks and appalls me on an everyday basis!

    Sounds to me like you need a hands-free system. I recommend a sling, but it's whatever works for you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails