Sunday, August 1, 2010

Slow Cooker Carrot Cake

Did YOU know you could make a cake in a slow cooker?! I surely didn't! That is, until I ran across this *amazing* cookbook, Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook by Beth Hensperger, and found a whole section on desserts, some of which were dairy-free. Eager to stuff my face and silence my inner fat girl, I scoured my pantry, came up with a few choice items, and went to work. Here's a recipe I hope you'll enjoy as much as I do!

Slow Cooker Carrot Cake

Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. water
1/2 c. oil
2 eggs
1 1/4 c. shredded carrots (2-3 medium carrots)
3 tbsp. chopped walnuts (optional)

*Notice the lack of dairy!!!*

Directions
-Grease a medium or large slow cooker bowl - I used my large capacity cooker for this.
-In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, spices, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the water, oil and eggs. Incorporate the wet ingredients into the dry, making sure the dry ingredients are fully moistened. Add the carrots and, if using, the walnuts. Pour into the crock pot and cook on high for 1.5-2 hours, until puffed and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
-Top with powdered sugar, eat plain, or frost with decadent cream cheese icing.

Enjoy! This is one tasty cake!

4 comments:

  1. I guess you learn something new every day! I never would have thought to use my slow cooker to make a cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Who would've thunk it. I never could've thought of something like this. LOL. I will definitely have to try this out. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a great idea... I want to try...now if I could only find my slow cooker... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dairy-free and uses the slow cooker?? I'm sold! I will definitely be trying this one soon.

    I was inspired by your recipes and decided to post some of my favorite dairy-free dinner ideas soon.

    By the way, I'd love to make you a signature! What name would you like the signature to say? Any font preferences? I'll play around and send you something!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails