Wednesday, November 18, 2009

34-Week Appointment!

My appointment this morning went very well. First off, I hadn't gained any weight. Maybe .2 of a pound or something, but overall, no weight gain. YAY! And before certain individuals start lecturing me, know that when I asked my doctor about this he said that it's perfectly fine, and that he's not concerned about it a shred. That brings me to a total of 21 lbs. in 34 weeks. Not too shabby! I'm definitely on track to stay under 30, which is my goal. Or at least it has been, since I realized keeping it to 25 probably wasn't going to happen, nor did my doctor want me to.

It was hard at first for them to find Baby B's heartbeat. Despite having felt her move as I was laying back for them to measure me and use the doppler to find her heartbeat, my heart stood still for a minute as I watched the nurse search and search. When she finally did find it, it was up right near my rib cage, further adding to my suspicions that Baby B is breech, if not flat out transverse. Either that or she's got her legs split to kick me on each far side, and has a long torso! Dr. R said not to worry about it for the time being - she still has time to drop. If she hasn't by my 36-week appointment, though, he may need to try an external version to get her to move. Doesn't sound too fun, but I'm hoping she'll settle on in where she should be with due time. If she won't move, though, it'll be c-section time, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there!

I haven't mentioned this because it's just plain weird, but I've been experiencing a touch of pica. For those of you unfamiliar with this condition, it's the experience of craving non-food objects. Many times people will crave dirt, gravel, etc., but in my case it's shown it's affections for toothpaste, aspirin and paper. I haven't acted on these cravings, of course, but I will freely admit that it's the strangest thing in the world to ask yourself, "What do I feel like eating?" and have your inner voice respond, "A napkin." My doctor said that this is very common in pregnant women so not to be upset by it, but to be sure not to act on any of the cravings, particularly aspirin. Well, duh. Anyway, I mention this not only to single myself out as a freak of nature, but so that if anyone else out there is experiencing this same phenomenon, now you know that not only are you not alone, but you're considered par for the course.

With regards to my near trip to L&D a week and a half ago, my doc said that this is likely to start occuring more and more often and with more intensity, and that if I have more than ten contractions in the course of an hour, to go to the hospital and call him immediately. Other than that, to trust my judgment like I did before :) It seems for as much as his nurse seems to dismiss my concerns as overreacting, my doctor and I seem to be on the same wavelength, for which I am eternally grateful.

Two weeks until my 36-week appointment, and then weekly from there on out until Baby B arrives! YAY! The only crappy thing is that from here on out I'll have weekly cervical checks, and I'm not really psyched for that. Oh well, though. At least she'll be closer to being here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails