Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween!


For many of my readers, as well as for myself, this is our last pre-baby Halloween. While I could've made the most of my buddha belly and gotten all decked out, I instead chose to revel in the opportunity to use the world's best (and most valid) excuse to stay home in my PJ's and watch some Texas football! Mainly? I'm not a huge Halloween fan. I don't like to put together elaborate, uncomfortable and - usually - expensive costumes to head downtown and be groped at. I think it stems from my many childhood fears, including haunted houses, elaborate bloody costumes and scary movies. Just not my holiday.

All of this, however, is going to change next year. Since buying my home a few years back, I've started to actually look forward to Halloween. I like carving pumpkins (despite the terrible smell of their inside contents!), I LOVE candy, and I particularly like making adorably-dressed trick-or-treaters smile by handing over candy (and calories that I'd otherwise be consuming!). There are a few exceptions, however.

*Teenagers - I mean, c'mon. Seriously. You're 15, and in your street clothes with a mask? Get outta here.

*Kids that don't say "Trick or Treat!" and just stand there with their mouths and bags hanging open. Awkward...

*Kids that don't say "Thank you". Call me old-fashioned, but this really bothers me. Yeah, I know I'm not handing out full on Snickers bars or anything, but it's not a toothbrush, either. It wouldn't kill you to say a quick "Thank you".

*Even worse? Kids that complain when you only give them one piece of candy. That really bothers me. What did you expect - five dum dums, three tootsie rolls, a starburst and a Reeses? Get real! Halloween candy is shocking expensive when you get 200+ trick-or-treaters. Be grateful!

I know this makes me sound about twenty years older than I actually am, but I just think that a little bit of manners go a lonnnnnnnnng way, ya know? And what better time to start teaching your little munchkins about being polite than now, right? Maybe it's just me being oversensitive and pregnant :)

On a side note, how funny is this?


Despite my laziness this evening (actually, I'm babysitting for the third straight night), I'm very excited for next year's Halloween. While I realize Baby B won't be able to walk or talk or do any of the actual trick-or-treating, it will still be entertaining to dress her up and take her along for the ride. It'll still be 80 degrees here at this rate, anyhow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails