Thursday, October 29, 2009

Round Ligament Pain?

The past 24 hours have been a bit...stressful. I've been having some pain when I walk, which is only avoidable to a certain extent, and it definitely was bad enough to warrant a call to the doctor's office yesterday. While I suffered from the occasional round ligament pain between 12-24 weeks, I haven't had any issues with it recently, and so the start of sharp, stabbing pain caused me quite a bit of concern. I knew that I wasn't in labor, since it didn't feel consistent with the Braxton-Hicks contractions I've had, but I was worried that something was going wrong, since even walking around the block to take P to a birthday party brought on a sharp sensation right above my pubic bone that was enough to take my breath away.

I put in a call to my doc after much deliberation, and the nurse assured me that the way I had described it, it most likely was the ligaments supporting my uterus stretching once again (RLP), but still - isn't it a bit...excessive? I don't have the type of job or live the type of lifestyle where I can avoid walking very far, and it comes on SO easily. I can hardly get up the stairs in my own home without feeling it, though it's certainly more mild in that case. I'm just feeling a bit bleh about it. I'm also, however, hoping that they're right and that it's nothing more serious, especially given the comment about the swelling in my ankles (which also seems to have gone down thanks to avid water drinking).

I, of course, would alter my lifestyle and go on bedrest or whatever was required of me if Baby B was in danger or distress without a single complaint. At the same time, though, I am hoping and praying everything is fine and nothing like that will become necessary, and am trying to stay off my feet in the meantime as much as possible!

5 comments:

  1. I don't know if this is the same pain, but I'll share anyway. I have been having sharp stabbing pains in an area I won't mention on a public blog. It will literally take my breathe away. I usually only experience them when I'm power walking. I haven't called my doctor,so I don't have any answers for ya. I hope you start feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds very similar, if not the same. Mine was definitely brought on by power walking, and then seemed that once it had been triggered to come on more and more easily. Just an FYI - my doc said tylenol, water and resting are the only real 'treatments' - hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hun, I had that EXACT SAME PAIN. For many, many weeks...my pain started about week 20. It is due to your hip ligaments being too relaxed, allowing your pubic bones to knock together...that's why the pain you feel is right on the pubic bone, as if someone kicked you in the crotch, but REALLY HARD.

    It's called Symphysis Pubic Dysfunction. Most doctors don't even acknowledge it exists, mine told me RLP too, but that's total BS. The symptoms of SPD perfectly described the pain I felt every day for 20 weeks, and it got worse and worse and worse as Marianne got bigger.

    The only recommendation I can give you is to take it easy...don't do a lot of walking, don't take stairs. Anything weight-bearing will make it hurt worse, and the longer you do it the more you will pay for it later. It won't hurt Baby B, but you'll be pretty miserable till she's born.

    Mine was so bad towards the end I couldn't take stairs, couldn't lie down for longer than half an hour on one side, couldn't sit for longer than an hour. Walking any distance put me out of breath, and I'm normally a fairly fit person...I was a competitive marital artist for almost 2 years.

    Take it easy. SPD will make you miserable, and exercise will make it worse. At least you're a lot farther along than I was when my pain first started...so it might not be as bad for you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been having this same kind of pain recently. I had the round ligament pain around 20 weeks that went away, now this is here. I park a 10 min walk away from where I work and by the time I get into the office the pain is really bad. It's exactly where you described and definitely feels like someone kicked me right below my belly.

    It also doesn't help that the baby routinely places his foot or elbow directly on my hip bone and presses really hard. Gotta love it! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As much as I hate to hear that SO many of us seem to be suffering/have suffered from this, it's definitely reassuring to know that it's not just me. Hope everyone gets to feeling better!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails