Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Yoga!


I LOVE yoga. Back when I worked in social services and had an actual defined 'lunch break', I would do yoga 3-4 times a week at lunch. While it's so low-impact it doesn't have the same benefits for your body crazy cardio does, I a.) HATE the gym (that should be fun when baby's here and I'm left with a bunch of extra fat!), and b.) my bones are extremely sensitive, and I get stress fractures from things like running, etc. I know it sounds crazy, but I've had stress fractures in my shins after a WEEK of running/etc. So low-impact works for me.

Not only that, but my life is stressful. Lovely, yes, but stressful. Yoga is the only thing that calms me down and gets me centered. In short, it's my prozac. I LOVE yoga.

After I left my old job, however, I didn't have time for it anymore, since after working all day, hitting the gym sounds damn near impossible. Add to that the fatigue that accompanies lifting a finger during pregnancy, and it's been nearly 8 months since my last yoga class :(

I'm thinking, though, of attempting to take it back up. It's not too extreme to do during pregnancy, especially since my body seems to fall right into it - I was a badass at yoga from the beginning, getting into level 3 & 4 positions - and the less effort it takes me to get my pre-pregnancy body back after the baby is here, THE BETTER! I have been crippled before this point, however, by my fear of miscarriage. While you can spare me the bit about exercise being great for pregnant women, since I've heard it as well, there are some studies that find it can have contraindications before the 18th week of pregnancy, and therefore, I'm waiting til the 18th week in ~4 weeks.

Any other mommies-to-be doing yoga out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails