Thursday, March 25, 2010

:(

So remember how the other day I was extremely sad about cutting Ava's finger? Yeah - that was clearly in preparation for today, just about an hour ago, when D dropped the remote (have you ever heard of something more assinine and ridiculously upsetting?!?) on her head. Directly next to her soft spot.

Maybe I'm just super cautious because my job tends to depend on it, but in my six years as a full-time nanny, I have never once encountered this situation, and was in no way prepared for how awful it would feel. I also couldn't have guessed how furious I would feel. I couldve killed him. Seriously??? The remote??? Who. Does. That????

She screamed for a good fifteen minutes, just inconsolably crying. And to add insult to injury, I ran over to take her and nurse/comfort/protect her (I couldn't help it - maternal instinct?!) and severely offended D, which helps nothing of course and made everything that much worse. Some infant tylenol and a cold compress later she finally calmed down enough to nurse, while I talked to my mom about whether or not I should take her to the hospital or not. She said as long as she calms down within 30 minutes, isn't vomiting and is breathing fine without any major swelling or any pupil changes, she should be fine, but we'll be waking up every two hours to check on her and calling her pediatrician first thing in the morning.

What an absolutely horrible feeling.

2 comments:

  1. I am so so sorry this happened! I was nursing Jack on the couch and had my cover on because my dad was there. We were watching TV and he was giving me the remote. Well he threw it at me and it hit Jack in the head. Luckily, it wasn't bad and he just kept on nursing but I couldn't believe it. He said he forgot he was under there and thought he was asleep or something. I know it's not the same thing by any means, but just wanted you to know that my son was hit in the head with a remote too! She will be okay and so will you! Let us know what the doctor says.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't feel too badly-- I think every parent has something like this happen to them at some point. It's our "mama hen" reflex that causes us to protect our children while offending our mate. He'll get over it, and Ava is going to be (already IS) just fine!

    ~Elizabeth
    Confessions From A Working Mom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails